Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whole Wheat Biscotti

You know what I love most about my new eating/cooking habits? Nights that look a little something like this:

I had made plans with a friend to come over to my place. We hadn't seen each other in a while and a catch-up-session was in order. Once we agreed on a time, she informed me that she had some homemade chai she could bring over for us to enjoy. She then proceeded to ask me if I had any cookies or treats that we could pair with the chai. I didn't, I told her, but wondered if I had anything to throw something together. Biscotti was the first thing to come to mind. I'd never made it before, but had seen recipes for it over the past several months and thought it'd be easy enough to throw together. Sure enough, within five minutes I had s simple recipe at my fingertips. I assured her that we'd have something to pair with our chai, and our date was set.

As I was making the biscotti, I thought more than once that I wasn't doing something right. It didn't look very attractive and I was unsure about whether or not my dough was the right consistency. As I stuck it in the oven for the first round of baking, I checked on it a few times--suspicious at the substance I had molded and plopped on a baking sheet. Fifteen minutes later, the smell wafting from the kitchen boosted my confidence.

Turns out, despite their less than perfect shape, my whole wheat vanilla biscotti was delicious! Especially dipped in my friends homemade chai--who just so happens to be the co-author of a new food blog. You can find the recipe to the chai mix if you click here. I definitely plan on mixing up my own batch of chai this weekend to enjoy with the leftover biscotti!

Whole Wheat Vanilla Biscotti

Ingredients:
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
--Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Mix together the dry ingredients.
2. Add the remaining ingredients with the dry and mix well.
3. Divide the dough in half. On a greased baking sheet, form 2 logs--as long as your dough will allow (10-13 inches).
4. Bake for 25 minutes then cool on a rack for 5 minutes.
5. Slice along each log at 1/2 inch intervals.
6. Return the slices to the oven for 15 minutes, turning once.
7. Cool completely.

I think biscotti is my new go-to dessert. I've already found a recipe for chocolate biscotti that I can't wait to share. But, alas, that's all for now.

Rosalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

the scratch kitchen Copyright The Scratch Kitchen 2012