Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

It's been quiet in the kitchen.

I've been a very busy girl. I recently just published my first book (yippy!) and have been a little bit preoccupied. I've been enjoying leftovers, trying to clean out my freezer so that I can fill it up again. Even half of my groceries, apples for applesauce, bulgar wheat for almond veggie burgers, quinoa for fritters, and more--all purchased with me under the impression that I would be spending time in the kitchen--have all just been waiting to be used.

They shall wait only a little while longer. Hopefully I'll have tons of new experiences to share with you in the next couple of weeks.

However, just because my kitchen has been quiet does not mean that it has been silent. I have made a couple things here and there to quench my appetite. Banana bread being one of those things. I made it last week and shared it with some friends. I promised one in particular that I'd blog about it so, here I am.

A while back, I spent a considerable amount of time hunting for a banana bread recipe. There was a reason I hadn't made it in months--that being, most of the recipes I found called for a heaping amount of sugar. I couldn't help but think to myself, I put that much sugar in cookies! Why do I need to put that much sugar in my bread? I needed a recipe that would leave me satisfied with the taste of my bread, yet not worried about the nutritional content. After a number of disappointing finds, I found one that appealed to me.

Now, I used to not eat bananas very often. Actually, I have been eating more bananas over the past few weeks, but I find it very difficult to do so--they go bad before I can eat them all; which is okay if I have it in mind to make banana bread, but it's not okay when I'd just like to enjoy all my bananas! In any case, I've forgotten where I got the recipe because, by the time I had bananas ripe enough to make the bread, it had been months since I discovered it. However, I do have the recipe to share! My friends and I all enjoyed the finished product. I will not hesitate to make this healthy version of banana bread in the future.


WHOLE WHEAT BANANA BREAD

Ingredients:
2 ¼ cup whole-wheat flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 ripe bananas, mashed
¼ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup honey
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease pan.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl mix mashed bananas with yogurt, honey, eggs, oil, and vanilla.
4. fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture until blended. Do not over-mix.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake large loaf for 40-50 minutes or until it comes clean with a toothpick.

 I'll post pictures soon!

P.S: if you'd like to know more about my book, check out my website, here. And if you'd like to purchase my book, you can buy it here!

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the book! I'd love to hear more about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm very excited. You can visit my website, or even write me an email at rosalyn@rosalynmartin.com to learn more. I'm glad to have the chance to share my writing!

      Delete

 

the scratch kitchen Copyright The Scratch Kitchen 2012